Today we have the sad news that Anthony Bourdain has passed away due to an apparent suicide. He saw the world in such a beautiful light, and he will be truly missed. Countless people have watched his shows and read his books and felt inspired to travel and get out of their comfort zone.
Bourdain was one of the most poignant speakers in an era where what you say really matters. The world has really been taken back with news of his passing. Gordon Ramsey put it best by Tweeting out:
“Stunned and saddened by the loss of Anthony Bourdain. He brought the world into our homes and inspired so many people to explore cultures and cities through their food. Remember that help is a phone call away US:1-800-273-TALK UK: 116 123.”
Instead of taking a look at how the world is reacting to this huge loss, let’s celebrate the life that Bourdain lived with taking a look at some of his most memorable quotes.
11. “Life is complicated. It’s filled with nuance. It’s unsatisfying… If I believe in anything, it is doubt. The root cause of all life’s problems is looking for a simple fucking answer.”
10. “As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life — and travel — leaves marks on you. Most of the time, those marks — on your body or on your heart — are beautiful. Often, though, they hurt.”
9. “I don’t have an agenda, but I do have a point of view, and it might change from minute to minute.”
8. “Your body is not a temple, it’s an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.”
7. “Basic cooking skills are a virtue… the ability to feed yourself and a few others with proficiency should be taught to every young man and woman as a fundamental skill. [It’s] as vital to growing up as learning to wipe one’s own ass, cross the street by oneself, or be trusted with money.”
6. “If I am an advocate for anything, it is to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. Walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food. It’s a plus for everybody.”
5. “I assumed from the get-go that every minute I was on television was a freakish anomaly that would be over quickly. It came as a sobering and confusing moment when I realized I was still on the air. What the fuck is going on?”
4. “Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.”
3. “Maybe that’s enlightenment enough: to know that there is no final resting place of the mind; no moment of smug clarity. Perhaps wisdom is realizing how small I am, and unwise, and how far I have yet to go.”
2. “Skills can be taught. Character you either have or you don’t have.”
1. “No one understands and appreciates the American Dream of hard work leading to material rewards better than a non-American.”
He will be missed. If you need to talk to anyone or know of anyone that needs to, please don’t hesitate to call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.