Back in October of last year, the United States witnessed one of it’s worst mass shootings of all time. Over 1,000 people were effected and 58 died that fateful day. Stephen Paddock was the shooter who leaned out a window at the Mandalay Bay hotel and eventually killed himself as well. It only took ten minutes, but it was horrific in every sense of the word.
Somehow though, MGM Resorts International, who is the group that owns the Mandalay Bay hotel is suing those victims. As if they hadn’t already gone through a terrible ordeal enough this news came out Tuesday.
Some victims had already begun to sue MGM Resorts before this, due to failing to provide proper security and allowing Paddock to bring in such high powered weapons. This is a bold move even though the company isn’t suing for money. Basically they are just saying they aren’t liable for what Paddock did in their hotel room.
MGM’s lawyers are using a federal law that was passed after the September 11th attacks which is known by the Safety Act. According to the New York Times:
“MGM contends that under the law, which Congress passed in 2002, it is immunized from liability because it met two conditions: A security company that was hired for the concert had a certification from the Department of Homeland Security, and the shooting qualified, in the company’s view, as an ‘act of terrorism.'”
Robert Eglet who is a lawyer for many of the victims was blown away by the lawsuit saying to the Las Vegas Review Journal:
“I’ve never seen a more outrageous thing, where they sue the victims in an effort to find a judge they like. It’s just really sad that they would stoop to this level.”
A spokesperson from MGM said the legal jargon that they have to say when they have no heart saying:
“The Federal Court is an appropriate venue for these cases and provides those affected with the opportunity for a timely resolution. Years of drawn out litigation and hearings are not in the best interest of victims, the community and those still healing.”
It’s safe to say that Twitter was ablaze with fury of what MGM was trying to do.
MGM sues more than 1,000 victims of Las Vegas shooting, denying liability for the massacre.
You can thank John McManus, the Executive Vice President, General Counsel, and Secretary for MGM resorts. pic.twitter.com/1cD1E9jKZs
— Red T Raccoon (@RedTRaccoon) July 17, 2018
"There's no such thing as bad publicity."
"Let's prove that wrong."
~Mandalay Bay & MGM Resorts
— nathan timmel (@nathantimmel) July 17, 2018
MGM, the owner of the Mandalay Bay suing victims of the Las Vegas mass-shooting is totally Trumpian.
This kind of pure greed, unconscionably cruel and subhuman moral bankruptcy is what Trump specializes in.
— Bill Madden (@activist360) July 17, 2018
Some people even called for a boycott of MGM because lets face it, they have more money than God…
MGM Resorts International, revenues $9.810 Billion. Here’s a list of brands you can boycott:
MGM National Harbor
— Yummy_Corn (@Laaa_de_Daaa) July 17, 2018
Another commenter said:
“This company raked in $1B in profits last year yet suing victims. The amount of firepower the shooter had couldn’t be tucked under your arm and snucked in. Vegas casinos have cameras EVERYWHERE yet this didn’t alarm the security team?”
MGM Resorts: Nothing will ever piss people off more than our insane resorts fees, paid parking boondoggle, and 6:5 blackjack scam!
Also MGM Resorts: Hold our beer.
— Las Vegas Locally 🌴 (@LasVegasLocally) July 18, 2018
Another lawyer who represents more of the victims, Craig Eiland concluded that:
“It’s all about immunizing themselves from liability and staying out of state courts. They want to say that it does not matter how negligent MGM was” in allowing Mr. Paddock to stockpile an arsenal in his Mandalay Bay hotel room.”
Let’s just hope that all these victims get what they deserve no matter what lawsuit they are up against!