Woman miraculously wake up after 27-year coma

Hailing from the United Arab Emirates at 32-years-old, Munira Abdulla was traveling home with her then four-year-old son, Omar Weiber, when a school bus collided with the car she was driving.

While Omar escaped the horrible crash with just a bruise to the head, his mother right before the impact was protectively hugging him.

Munira was left comatose along with a traumatic brain injury — which led doctors to believe that she would never regain full consciousness ever again.

Image via flickr

Omar never gave up hope, despite the horrendous news — and continued to believe that his mother would some day wake up.

After the crash, Munira was then transferred to a London hospital where she was declared to be in a “minimally conscious state.”

And while it was found that she was unconscious, she was still able to experience pain.

Image via Public Domain Pictures

Munira was later returned to the United Arab Emirates — where there were no signs she would ever recover, year after year.

Munira was fed using a tube and given physiotherapy to halt muscle deterioration but doctors remained pessimistic about how much she could improve.

Omar, who is now 32, would visit his mother everyday — likening her value to that of “gold.”

Then in 2017, the family was full of hope when the crown prince of Abu Dhabi, Mohammed bin Zayed, heard Munira’s story and offered to pay for her to be treated by specialists in Germany.

Image via Wikimedia Commons

After she was in Germany, Munira was then put on a comprehensive multidisciplinary program which consisted of physical treatment and epilepsy treatment as well as medication to enhance her wakefulness, sleep rhythm and drive.

“Our primary goal was to grant her fragile consciousness the opportunity to develop and prosper within a healthy body, just like a delicate plant which needs good soil to grow.” Ahmad Ryll, Neurology specialist who treated Munira, shared with The National.

This course of therapy then led to huge improvements in Munira’s condition. She started to consciously perceive the presence of her children as well as the doctor — and after one year into her treatment, a miracle happened.

When speaking with The National, Omar remembered the moment his mom spoke aloud his name for the first time in three decades.

Image via YouTube

“She was making strange sounds and I kept calling the doctors to examine her, they said everything was normal. Then three days later I woke up to the sound of someone calling my name. It was her! She was calling my name, I was flying with joy; for years I have dreamt of this moment, and my name was the first word she said.”

Munira has since made huge progress, becoming more aware of her surroundings as well as holding conversation, answering questions and reciting prayers.

Munira has even made a visit to the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque.

Image via flickr

Omar then shared with The National why he is choosing to share his mother’s story with others:

“The reason I shared her story is to tell people not to lose hope on their loved ones; don’t consider them dead when they are in such a state. All those years the doctors told me she was a hopeless case, and that there was no point of the treatment I was seeking for her, but whenever in doubt I put myself in her place and did whatever I could to improve her condition.”

Now that Munira is back at home in Abu Dhabi with her family, Munira continues to receive treatment.

Image via YouTube

NOW WATCH: Sweden Actually Turns It’s Garbage Into Energy | Save The World