Home Interesting Facts This 21-year-old died due to caffeine overdose, father takes to Facebook to...

This 21-year-old died due to caffeine overdose, father takes to Facebook to warn others

SHARE

After drinking a protein shake, a 21-year-old musician has died from a caffeine overdose according to his father.

Lachlan Foote passed away just a day before his 22nd birthday after adding a lethal amount of caffeine powder to his drink.

Image via flickr

His body was found by his parents on their bathroom floor in Blue Mountains, Australia, on New Year’s Day of last year.

The weekend that the coroner ruled Foote had passed always of “caffeine toxicity,” his father posted to Facebook to warn others who may potentially have access to the powder.

A teaspoon of caffeine powder can be the equivalent of up to 50 cups of coffee.

Foote revealed in a Facebook message to his friends how his shake had tasted strange the night he died.

Image via Facebook

“I think my protein powder has gone off,” he posted at 2:07 am. “Just made an anti hangover / workout shake and it tasted awful. Anyway… night lads. Cya in the morning.”

He was later found dead a few hours later.



“While I don’t wish to keep raising the subject of Lachlan’s death on Facebook, I’m posting this because there’s a possibility it might save someone’s life,” his father, Nigel, posted to Facebook.

He revealed that in the coroner’s report, it was found that there was only a small amount of alcohol in his son’s system.

“It turns out that Lachlan came home after celebrating New Year’s Eve with his friends and made a protein shake, innocently adding too much Pure Caffeine Powder – a teaspoon is lethal,” he wrote.

Image via Facebook

“We think Lachlan obtained the caffeine powder from a friend or work associate as a thorough search of his computer and bank statements, by both myself and the police, revealed no mention of caffeine powder, only related protein powder products.”

“Therefore, it appears the pure caffeine powder was bought by someone else and shared, so it’s very likely that Lachlan never got to read the warning label on the packet and was unaware of its potency.”

Image via Wikipedia

“And the fact that he kept the caffeine powder in our kitchen pantry (where one of us might have mistaken it for flour or sugar) proves the point – Lachlan would never have kept it there had he known it was a threat to the family. He was a bright, imaginative young man.”

“We’re concerned that there might be other young people in his circle who bought or shared in this batch of pure caffeine powder and, like Lachlan, be unaware of the danger… hence this post.”

NOW WATCH: Sweden Actually Turns It’s Garbage Into Energy | Save The World

Advertisement