Couple fakes infant’s birth and death for money and gifts from friends

A couple from Pennsylvania started a GoFundMe page claiming they lost their newborn son just hours after his birth — but according to police, the baby did not exist.

Earlier this month, Kaycee Lang, 23, and Geoffrey Lang, 27, were charged with theft and deception.

The couple faked the July 3 birth as well as death of their son for money and gifts according to an affidavit of probable cause.

The Langs claimed that “Easton Walt Lang” was born at Conemaugh Health System in Johnstown on July 3. But hours later, they said he had tragically died.

The couple began to share photos of Easton on their social media profiles and began a GoFundMe page for donations to help pay for a personalized urn.

Image via GoFundMe

Police were contacted after the boy’s memorial when a friend said she found Kaycee’s pregnancy and Easton’s alleged death, suspicious.

Cynthia Dilascio shared with WTAE how she first became suspicious when Kaycee did not show signs of being pregnant.

Regardless, Dilascio hosted a baby shower for the couple at her home in May. And shortly after, around seven months, Kaycee stopped seeing friends, alleging she was on bedrest.

When Kaycee first shared with Dilascio had given birth but Easton had died of respiratory distress syndrome, Dilascio did not believe her. Later, Dilascio called the funeral home where the couple said the boy was cremated but learned there was no record of him.

At Easton’s memorial, Dilascio decided to confront the Langs who then immediately denied the allegations.

Image via Max Pixel

“I knew that this was fake,” Dilascio shared with WTAE. “I couldn’t go and sit and watch this go on and know the truth.”

Police could not find any records of Kaycee’s pregnancy or Easton’s birth and death. And during a search of the couple’s home, police discovered the newborn look-alike doll allegedly used in photos according to the probable cause statement.

GoFundMe will be refunding all those who donated to the couple through the site. The page, which has raised $550, has since been taken down.

The couple is slated to appear in court in October. It is unclear if they will have an attorney to comment on their behalf.