Gender reveal parties have proven to be a great opportunity for an exciting stunt to reveal a partner’s child’s gender. But have you ever heard of throwing a watermelon into a hippo’s mouth to find out the big news?
That is exactly what one couple did with the help of a pygmy hippo.
After their video was shared online, Bridgette and Jonathan Joseph’s reveal has gone viral.
The footage (which was shared on Tik Tok) reveals the two throwing a watermelon to the hippo at the Capital Texas Zoo in Austin.
The mother and father to-be filled a watermelon with colored jelly, planning for the hippo named Tank, to bite the fruit and then everyone would know if they were having a boy or girl.
Tank then chomps into the melon which explodes to reveal blue jelly — which means the couple are expecting a baby boy.
Jonathan (who got just a liiiitttle too jazzed about the gender) screamed: “YES! YES! Thank God!”
The video was then shared online by film-maker Ana Bretón, the caption reading: “I did it. I found the worst gender reveal.”
The tweet had amassed 180,000 likes with over 34,000 retweets and had been watched over 7.5 million times at the time of writing.
After the tweet had gone viral, Ana posted a message she had received from the expectant mother.
Her message read:
“This was one of the happiest days of our lives. With the help of the zoo and the amazing Tank the hippo, we learned that we are having a baby boy.
“After many years of raising our beautiful young lady, we decided to try for another baby. It took some time and some extra money in fertility treatments, but we finally got pregnant! We would have been over the moon just the same to have another girl, but would have had to keep trying for a boy, and it could have got very expensive.”
“I want to experience the mother-son relationship so badly. I am filled with joy to learn that we got out baby boy! Can’t wait to meet him.”
“Also, for anyone that is concerned for the hippo and his well-being, he has been hand-raised by his amazing owner, who assisted us in feeding him only food that is safe for him to consume…organic Jell-O inside the watermelon…and yes, Tank was more than happy to have the treat.”