This article originally appeared and was published on AOL.com
1. He’s the most-awarded artist of all time.
He won more awards than any other musician dead or alive, including 23 Guinness World Records, 40 Billboard Awards, 13 Grammys and 26 American Music Awards.
2. He’s made more money than any artist after their death.
In the first year after his passing, his estate made $1 billion.
3. Michael Jackson’s famous “Moonwalk” is modeled after the mime artist, Marcel Marceau’s routine.
4. He invented patented boots that allows the wearer to “defy gravity.”
He wore them to pull off his famous “lean” in the “Smooth Criminal” music video.
5. “Billie Jean” was the first music video by a black artist to air on MTV.
6. He bought publishing rights to most of The Beatles’ catalog for $47 million.
7. The costumes in the “Thriller” video all came from the Salvation Army.
8. He was the godfather of Lionel Ritchie’s daughter, Nicole Ritchie.
9. He won eight Grammy’s in 1984, the most ever won by one person in a single year.
10. His 2,700-acre Neverland Ranch has a theme park, zoo and movie theater and was valued at $100 million.